Monday, January 12, 2015

Being Charitable

       The charity I have chosen to donate the money to is one that affects our environment. Save the Redwoods League is a charity created to help protect and preserve the ancient Redwoods of northern California. The Charity has been around since 1918 around the time of the logging rush that nearly wiped out the redwoods. Trying to protect these primeval trees has become much more complex in recent years.


      The reason I chose this charity is because I was born and raised up until about 3rd grade in Klamath Falls which is a small town within the Redwood forest.  As a child I have very fond memories of the gigantic trees and the mysterious ambiance they would release. I also have family still living in this area, and when I go visit them I see the massive almost mythical trees. 

      The colossal Redwoods can grow up to 320 Ft. and live for over 2,000 years. Before people heavily populated the area of California the trees covered most of California and some southern parts of Oregon. It is estimated that the forest is down to 5% its original size in the early 1800s. Seeing the Redwood forest become so small and isolated makes me think everyone should donate to this charity.

http://www.savetheredwoods.org

No comments:

Post a Comment